Thank you for your inquiry about employment opportunities with the Troy-Miami County Public Library.
The library is currently hiring a Fiscal Officer. For consideration, please send your resume, cover letter, and completed job application to:
Rachelle Via, Executive Director
Troy-Miami County Public Library
419 W. Main St. Troy, Ohio 45373
Or Email: email@example.com
Deadline: Resumes received prior to June 5, 2020 with have first priority
Position: Fiscal Officer
Hours: Part-time, nonexempt
Salary Range: $26-$30/hour with benefits
Immediate Supervisor: Board of Trustees
Benefits: Sick, vacation, and holiday pay; insurance; employee assistance program; tuition reimbursement and professional development; and membership in the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
The fiscal officer serves the Library in accordance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations, the directives of the Auditor of the State of Ohio, and the policies and decisions of the Troy-Miami County Board of Trustees. The fiscal officer keeps the financial records of library funds in accordance with Chapter 117 of the Ohio Administrative Code, the Ohio Revised Code, and all applicable federal and local regulations and coordinates the finance and purchasing activities of the Library.
This employee is appointed by and reports to the Board of Trustees pursuant to Section 3375.32 of the Ohio Revised Code; is responsible to the Board of Trustees; and is overseen on a day-to-day basis by the Library Director.
- A degree in business/finance or accounting or related field from an accredited university or equivalent experience. CPA preferred.
- Proficiency in use of automated financial data processing systems (Uniform Accounting Network [UAN]) preferred).
- Experience with payroll and HR, especially employee benefit management.
- Previous in public finance administration required with governmental or public library fund accounting
- Successful completion of a criminal background check and must meet bonding requirements.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Maintains accurate and current accounting of all library funds according to guidelines established by the State of Ohio and consistent with generally accepted government accounting principles and practices.
- Prepares annual reports as required by the state auditor’s office.
- Prepares and approves purchase orders; monitors individual cost accounts for budget balances; transfers account balances as directed by the Board; verifies invoices against purchase orders; resolves discrepancies; encumbers necessary funds.
- Prepares and presents monthly financial reports on the status of the library to the Director and the Board of Trustees.
- Controls financial transactions and records to ensure that the library operates on a sound financial basis.
- Invests interim, inactive, and active funds. Monitors certificate of deposits and savings accounts and performs all banking duties.
- Maintains accurate accounting of funds received from the federal or state government for special library projects. Includes submission of all required financial and related reports to funding agencies.
- Prepares and submits annual budget documents to Director, Board of Trustees, County Commissioners, and County Budget Commission.
- Prepares and submits annual Appropriation Resolution to Board of Trustees and County Auditor.
- Works with library director to gather data to prepare and present annual tax budgets, annual financial reports, appropriation budgets, long-term financial projections and specialized budgets for staffing needs or funding source reporting
- Prepares and submits annual report to State Auditor.
- Prepares bank deposits and maintains change and petty cash funds.
- Assists Director in planning and maintaining salary schedules and benefits package.
- Computes, prepares, audits, and answers routine questions concerning payroll for salaried and hourly employees. Applies authorized salary deductions.
- Maintains current and accurate personnel records, covering leave, health insurance, OPERS and other payroll deductions.
- Oversees the library’s insurance and benefits programs.
- Prepares and distributes W2 forms.
- Orients new employees on library benefits; processes employee applications for insurance; processes disability, workers compensation, and OPERS forms; responds to employee inquiries regarding benefits
- Prepares and maintains the minutes of the Board meetings and the decisions/resolutions of the Board. Ensures that those actions indicated by such decisions are carried out.
- Prepares and maintains inventory of library equipment for insurance purposes.
- Attends professional development training with various outside groups, which include the Ohio Library Council, Ohio Library Fiscal Officer’s Association, OPERS, regulatory agencies, vendors, and user groups.
- Stays informed about currently accepted philosophy, procedures, materials, programs, equipment and innovations in the field of public library accounting and management.
- Assumes additional responsibilities and performs special projects as needed or directed by the Board of Trustees or required by law.
- Attendance and reliability: Demonstrates reliability by arriving to work, meetings and appointments on time and by completing assignments in expected time frames.
- Customer Service: Strives to maintain positive internal and external customer service relationships. Represents the library in an appropriate manner when dealing with staff, managers, vendors, contractors, colleagues, and members of the public.
- Diversity: Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their cultural background, status, lifestyle choices, or position.
- Initiative: Seeks increased responsibilities. Takes independent actions. Asks for and offers help when needed. Displays original thinking and creativity.
- Teamwork: Exhibits a willingness to work in a team-oriented environment. Demonstrates pleasant communication skills and supports others in the completion of library operations. Able to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.
- Organizational Ethics: Maintains a high level of ethics, integrity, and confidentiality. Follows all library policies and procedures.
- Safety/Security: Observes safety and security procedures. Promptly reports potentially unsafe conditions. Operates and uses equipment and materials properly. Satisfactory completion of background check.
- Professional Development: Stays informed of current trends and issues. Exhibits motivation and commitment to improve work related knowledge, skills, productivity, and abilities.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by an individual working in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job‐related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.